Meet Dr. Lal
Sophia Lal, D.O.
Board-Certified, Fellowship-Trained Non-Surgical Sports Medicine, Board-Certified in Physical Medicine & Rehab
Dr. Sophia Lal has over 20 years of diverse experience in Sports Medicine and Non-Surgical Orthopedics. Dr. Lal treats all ages with focus on a variety of sports related injuries as well as acute injuries and musculoskeletal pain due to overuse conditions. She helps patients to recuperate from injury or disease to enjoy a higher quality and well-balanced life. She is currently a Medical Director at A Center for Eating Disorders.
Dr. Lal is continuously striving for the most prestigious and progressive care. She recently completed Fellowship Training in Sports Medicine Primary Care at American Sports Medicine Institute in July 2019. She also did fellowship under Dr. Anne Hoch at the Women’s Sports Medicine Program with the Dept. of Orthopedics at Medical College of Wisconsin. She specifically studied in sports medicine, elite athlete physiology evaluation, dietary counseling and running medicine.
She is currently part of the American Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and the American College of Sports Medicine. She leads a very active and healthy lifestyle, enjoying multiple greater-Birmingham races, competitive Triathlons, Yoga and Traveling.
Clinical Training and Practice includes – Sports Medicine, very busy, out-patient private clinic: main campus along-side Sports Medicine surgeons and satellite clinics; training room (high school / university); event coverage; pre-participation physicals; community presentations; weekly lectures.
- Confident seeing a high volume of orthopedic patients, all ages, with injuries that can range from acute to chronic issues, simple fractures and concussions
- Proficient in: Intra-articular, Trigger Point, Platelet-Rich-Plasma injections; musculoskeletal ultrasound (MSK US) both therapeutic and diagnostic. Compartment Pressure testing
- Frequently attracts patients to clinic through race coverage, group exercise, and community participation in athletic events
- Voted ‘Top Physician’ 2014 through 2019
- Team Captain of Marathon Relay Team – Top in category 2016 through 2019
As someone who is trained in the medicine of sport, I also live it as an athlete. This dual viewpoint helps to spark relationships with active local communities. Fellow athletes have the confidence and comfort that I understand both the science and the tribulations of their injury.
Present Positions and Training
Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellow
Andrews Sports Medicine / American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI); Birmingham, AL
Program Director: Dr. Jose Ortega. ACGME Accredited. Graduated 7/2019
Sports Medicine Physician
Fagan Sports Medicine Clinic; Birmingham, AL. 2/2009 – 6/2018
A Center for Eating Disorders; Birmingham, AL. 2/2009 – Present
- Adjunct Instructor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R), 2/2008 – Present
- Assistant Professor and Clinician of PM&R, Secondary – Dept of Orthopedics, at University of Alabama, Birmingham (UAB); Birmingham, AL. 2/2008 – 2/2009
Fellow, Sports Medicine
Department of Orthopedics, Women’s Sports Medicine Program, Medical College of Wisconsin; Milwaukee, WI. Non-Accredited. Graduation date: 7/2007
Resident, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Emory University; Atlanta, GA. Graduation date: 6/2006
- Resident, General Surgery at University Medical and Dental School of New Jersey; Stratford, NJ. 7/2001 – 6/2003. (Surgical mission trip in Peru. 03/2003)
- Intern, Transitional Year at University of North Texas Health Science Center; Fort Worth, Texas. Graduation date: 6/2001
- NIH Research Fellow, Trauma & Burn Surgery at University of Texas Medical Branch/Shriner’s Burns Hospital; Galveston, Texas. 7/1999 – 6/2000
University of North Texas – Health Science Center; Fort Worth, Texas
Degree: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Graduation: 6/1999
University of North Texas; Denton, Texas
Pre-Med Requirements 6/1993 – 6/1995
- Prior Professional Experience; available upon request 1/1988 – 7/1993
University of Texas; Austin, Texas
Majors: Finance & International Business
Degree: Bachelor of Business Administration. Graduation: 12/1987
Certifications & Licensure
- American Board of PM&R – Board Certified
- Sports Medicine CAQ – Board Eligible
- Licenses (current and previous) in AL, GA, WI, NJ
Team Coverage, Courses and Conferences (recent):
Team Physician (current): Jacksonville State University Gamecocks and Head Team Physician for Oak Grove High School. Team physician for Birmingham Barons, Alabama Ballet, Mercedes Marathon, Samford University and Birmingham Southern College.
CME Lectures: Heat-Related Illnesses, Overuse Injuries in Runners, and Stress Fractures in Lower Extremity, Exercise is Medicine
MSK US Courses:
American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) (8/2018), MSK US Section of ASMI Baseball Course (1/2019), American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine (5/2019)
- ASMI Injuries in Baseball Course, 1/2019
- Southeastern American College of Sports Medicine, 2/2019
- American Medical Society of Sports Medicine, 4/2019
- Poster Presentation: Sweat Rate an Electrolyte Loss in Endurance Athletes
- Kona Sports Medicine Conference, 10/2006-2019
- World Championship Ironman Medical Team, 10/2006-2019
Research Publications and References; available upon request
Hobbies & Interests – Avid Triathlete / Enjoys Yoga, Travel and Family